Miguel Martín Fernández de la Torre > Emblematic buildings > Gran Canaria Inter – Island Council

Gran Canaria Inter
Island Council


Having occupied the former La Soledad school in Calle Canalejas in 1934, along with other facilities on Calle Luis Millares in Vegueta, the Gran Canaria Inter – Island Council set up its offices on Calle Juan de Quesada, in the building constructed to host the Secondary Education Institute and which was later handed ove r to the army for use as a Military Hospital. Today, it houses the Rectorate of the University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria.

Later, the Inter – Island Council would move to Triana 46, where it remained until it took up its current and final location in Calle Bravo Murillo in 1941. The site cost 188,744 pesetas (approximately 1,100 euros) and was designed by Miguel Martín – Fernández de la Torre in 1932, although five years would pass before its first stone was laid.

_Beginnings 1937 – 1941

1929 – 1932 Project developed over four years, in which Miguel Martín sought to design a structure that linked civil society, the political institution and the architectural model. In doing so, he creat ed a building situated as a gateway, becoming an important example of the European architectural style known as rationalism.

1938 Construction begins with Eduardo Laforet as supervising architec The project was carried out following the designer’s ideas , with horizontal cassettes to mark a clear difference with the constructions of its environment. It had to be swift, extend towards the landscape, break the facade and bravely mark the corner with a tower. As a landmark building, it was essential that it have a tower and a clock, like the cathedral, that could be seen in the distance across the Calle Escritor Pérez Galdós. 1941 The new Inter – Island Council building opens its doors on 29 Apri With five successive projects, it was a fundamental milestone to understanding modernity in the archipelago The facade is intended to open up towards the corner, adapting to its strategic position in front of the city (the former exit gate of the original city walls) and with respect to the streets that meet there. Set back from the wider street, it is raised upon a podium to create a small square at the entrance, together with well – defined windows and overhangs, while on the narrower street it presents a square structure, just like the houses that surround it. In front, there is sufficient space to appreciate the complex, with a promenade in which to arrive and admire the building as a whole. 2020 The central building of the Gran Canaria Inter – Island Council received a plaque from the international DOCOMOMO foundati on on 30 September, recognising the paradigmatic character of this rationalist building within modern Spanish architecture


The Spanish architect Alejandro de la Sota is commissioned to design the restoration and extension of the Inter – Island Council building.

1994 The project and ideas are delivered for the Inter – Island Council Central Headquarters. This followed the rationalist style in which Miguel Martín – Férnandez de la Torre designed the current Casa Palacio. The building is i ntended to be extended towards the south, occupying the upper half of the block with the construction of two new seven – storey buildings on top of a three – storey underground car park with capacity for 300 spaces. The first, which will have its facade on Cal le Bravo Murillo, will be intended to host cultural and formal events The second, on the other hand, with facades on the streets of Calle Pérez Galdós and Calle Buenos Aires, will be used for administrative purposes.

2005 Restoration and extension works begin on the Insular Casa Palacio, which will take a little over two years to complete.

In order to thoroughly reform any building with recognised values, while maintaining all the significance it may have had in its previous forms, the new presence must naturally be accompanied by the work of a new architect who will be responsible for improving it, at their sole discretion. (December 1993)

Alejandro de la Sota

Set of plans and elevations belonging to the collections of the Int er – Island Council’s General Archive. These have extraordinary documental value, as they make up the only complete set of plans conserved from those used in Miguel Martín Fernández de la Torre’s studio.